From the pretty ponies and huge draft horses to the horse hitch shows, there are plenty of horses to admire at the 2011 State Fair! Barns will be full all nine days of the Fair, and even earlier with check-ins for pre-Fair Quarter Horse competition on July 21. But those special shows that equine-lovers enjoy offer endless opportunity.
Some new hands are taking the reins. Carla Everson of Minot is horse show superintendent, taking over from long-time leader Jeanne Fredrich. “I worked with Jeanne,” Everson said, “and I’m grateful she will continue to run the Pre-Fair Quarter Horse Show and be around to break us in.” Everson said she and Lori Morris of Minot, who will be show secretary, were trained in Texas to be certified to manage Quarter Horse Shows. “We’re lucky to have such great help,” she said, “because barns will be full.”
Everson said Rick Bailey of Des Moines, Iowa, and Cindy Chilton-Moore, Broken Arrow, OK, will judge Quarter Horses, with Gene Carr, Hayti, SD, to judge miniatures and Morgan breeds. Draft horse judge will be Rob Gardiner of Virden, Manitoba. Open class judge Libby Michaud, Wahoo, NB, also will judge the first half of 4-H and FFA horse competition with Andrew Hinrichs, Fergus Falls, MN, judging the remaining half. One big horse change will be addition of a second night of Ranch Rodeo. The popular free Pony Pull runs from to 3 p.m. July 23, with the Horse Pull starting at 5 p.m. on July 24.
Other horse events include:
- Miss NDSF Rodeo Horsemanship Contest, July 22, 8 a.m., Heritage Hall.
- Team Roping, sponsored by Tractor Supply Company, July 22, 12:00 p.m.
- Draft Horse Event Classes, July 23, 5:30 p.m., Heritage Hall
- Draft Horse Hitch Competition, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. July 24, All Seasons Arena
- Quarter Horse Double Judge Show, July 23, 8 a.m., All Seasons Arena
- Draft Horse Events Competition, 6 p.m. July 23, Heritage Hall, sponsored by Tractor Supply Company
- Open Western-English Show, July 24, 10 a.m., Heritage Hall
- 4-H & FFA Horse Shows July 25, 26 and 27, 8 a.m., Heritage Hall
- Miniature and Morgan Shows, July 28, 8 a.m., Heritage Hall
- Barrel Bash, July 29 at 6 p.m. and July 30, 8 a.m., Heritage Hall
- Cutting Contest, July 30, 9 a.m., and July 31, 8 a.m., All Seasons Arena