Calling all home-grown cake decorators to our 2nd Annual Live Amateur Cake Decorating Contest! If you like the cake shows on TV, you will love this event! Last year we had our first ever cake decorating contest and it was such a hit we are bringing it back for a second year and adding a new age division! Kids 13-17 can now show off their skills decorating a “Great.Big.Fun” cake!
Three contestants will be chosen in each age division. Cash prizes will be given for 1st place and the two runners up. 1st Place in the adult division will score $300, and the two runners up will receive $150 each. In the Junior Division, the 1st Place winner will receive $100, and the two runners up will get $50 each. Contestants will have an hour and a half to decorate their cakes and then transport them to the judges table. Even if you aren’t a decorator, you can come watch the event and vote for your favorite cake to receive the coveted “People’s Choice Award.” With help from the local professionals, we have some brand new changes to the contest, including:
- A NEW Juniors’ Division! Contestants 13-17 can now compete in their own division.
- Tasting: The contestants now have to make sure their cakes are as tasty as possible! After decorating and transportation to the judges table, contestants will provide each judge a small slice of their cake for tasting. Taste will be factored into the overall score.
- Along with standard icing and fondant, we are also accepting ganache, meringue, and other types of icing this year.
- Contestants must move their finished cake to the judges table.
- We have moved the contest into the 4-H Hall of the State Fair Center. All of the tables will be out of the sunlight and roped off.
We think these changes will make the contest even greater than last year. We are also very proud to be working with several professional cake artists, such as Shanda Cool, owner of Sweet & Flour Patisserie, Michelle Burch, owner of Lalee Cakes, Amy Ripley, owner of Bella Catering and Cakes, and Marie Rogers, Sous Chef at Lalee Cakes. We even have a pastry chef, Linda Wu, flying all the way here from San Francisco to help judge the contest!
If you are interested in competing, fill out our entry form and send it back by July 5th. This is just another event at the North Dakota State Fair to showcase all of our local talent! Keep your eyes peeled, we will be posting previews of each of the contestants after they have been chosen.